'Bwthyn y Gilfach' takes its name from "Bwythn" (Welsh for cottage), "y" (the) and "Gilfach" the name of the main house which comes from "cil" (meaning retreat, nook or recess) and "fach" (little or small) which gives "The Little Retreat Cottage"
The cottage was originally used to house livestock when the property was built as a farm around the 1680's. The original estate consisted of about 1,000 acres, most of which was sold to surrounding farms over the years but 50 acres still surround the property. As well as a working farm and copper mine y Gilfach was also at one time a wood mill - timber was cut using a water-wheel powered saw - and home to a local Quarry Manager.
The original 1000 acre 'Gilfach' estate belonged to Capt. Joseph Huddart (1741-1816) and was inherited upon his death by his son Sir Joseph Huddart. Sir Joseph Huddart also inherited 'Brynkir' and other estates in 1818 and also lands in the 'Boston Lodge' and 'Minffordd' areas including what is now known as 'Castle Deudraeth' part of William Clough Ellis' 'Portmerion'. Brynkir Tower, located in Cwm Pennant, was built in 1821 by Sir Joseph Huddart as a folly to commemorate his knighthood at the time of the Coronation of George IV. Sir Joseph was a friend of William Madocks whose name is synonymous with the Porthmadog area.
In the early 1900's y Gilfach was one of the first houses to have its own electricity supply - a small generator was driven by a Pelton wheel to provide enough power to illuminate a couple of large light bulbs - a technological marvel at the time!
In more recent years the cottage has been completely yet sympathetically refurbished to retain its character while providing modern facilities and comforts.
Cwm Pennant is renowned for its peaceful and tranquillity and 'Bwthyn y Gilfach' offers an opportunity to enjoy this beautiful location. The cottage provides a superb base for walking and cycling, bird watching and or just a quiet place to escape the pace of everyday life. Many sights and attractions of Snowdonia are easily reached within a few miles.